“I’m very excited to announce that Associate Professor Dr James French is now offering breast surgery in Newcastle as part of the Hunter Plastic Surgery team. He is one of Australia’s most experienced breast surgeons and in fact supervised some of my training in Sydney over 20 years ago,” Plastic Surgeon Dr Nick Moncrieff said today.
“Due to overwhelming demand for breast surgery from women in Newcastle, I asked Dr French if he would be willing to join my practice and help even more local women lead healthier, happier lives.”
Specialist Surgeon Dr French has been transitioning into the Hunter Plastic Surgery team in recent months, working alongside Dr Moncrieff in the operating theatre and in the clinic. He officially starts seeing new patients this month.
Lower fee options
Having Dr French join the team means we are able to offer breast surgery patients more choice in terms of their surgeon, operating dates and fees.
For example, total out of pocket fees for insured patients who have surgery with Dr French:
- Reductions with liposuction from $10,900 (saving around $3,000 on our standard pricing)
- Lifts from $9,000 (saving around $3,000)
- Removal of implants for medical reasons from $6,600 (saving around $1,000)
- Removal of implants for medical reasons and a lift from $13,900 (saving around $3,000)
- Removal of implants and replacement for medical reasons from $12,000 (saving around $3,500)
For uninsured patients, or those not meeting the Medicare criteria for these procedures, there are additional costs primarily because a private health fund is not covering the hospital costs.
Dr Moncrieff's fees remain unchanged.
Dr French can currently see patients as soon as Tuesday 12 January with surgery within 3 weeks. The wait to see Dr Moncrieff is currently over 3 months with surgical dates 8 weeks after that.
About Dr French
"It was easy for me to agree to joining Dr Moncrieff and his team. I’ve known Nick for over 2 decades and we have always enjoyed a great working relationship, sharing knowledge and experience over the years. I have a passion for helping patients through breast surgery and look forward to making life a little easier for Newcastle women.”
Dr French’s background and scope of practice
Dr French is a Specialist General Surgeon who has over 30 years experience in medicine and surgery and is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
As an Associate Professor at the University of Sydney, Dr French is involved in teaching – from medical students to medical graduates and post graduate surgical fellows. He has contributed to numerous peer reviewed articles and is involved in numerous local and international clinical trials.
He is the Head of Breast Surgery at the Westmead Breast Cancer Institute.
In his Sydney clinic Dr French also offers breast reconstruction and cancer treatment (which will not be offered at Hunter Plastic Surgery).
More details about his Sydney practice is here.
- Bachelor of Medicine / Bachelor of Surgery, University of New South Wales, Australia, 1992
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Australia, 2002
FAQs about Dr French's commencement
- What is Dr French's consultation fee? $250 with a Medicare rebate over $75 if you have a referral.
- How soon can I have a consultation? We have appointments available on next week and early February.
- How soon can I have surgery? From 1 February.
- If I have a Vectra simulation first, does the cost come off his fee? Absolutely! This means if you have paid the $100 Vectra fee, it reduced Dr French's consultation to $150 (and less than $75 after your Medicare rebate). Vectra simulation costs are only rebateable once.
Considering surgery? Please visit the relevant breast surgery pages (choose from our menu here to review pricing, possible Medicare and health fund rebates) then call our team on 4920 7700 to secure your appointment.
About Hunter Plastic Surgery
Hunter Plastic Surgery is Newcastle’s multi award-winning cosmetic plastic surgery clinic, founded by Dr Nicholas and Amber Moncrieff in 2009. It exclusively offers breast and body surgery to women, along with a focussed range of medispa treatments.
Hunter Plastic Surgery’s purpose is to make women healthy and happy. This is reflected in our patient feedback which shows that over 99% of our patients say they would recommend us to others and that we have over 350 five-star online reviews.
Our focus on providing five-star experiences for patients has been recognised at local and national awards where we have won 23 awards for our service and team since 2015. More about our award winning service and results, along with other elements of our 5 star difference is here.