So many patients ask this as generally you can’t see a medical specialist without having a referral. But the answer is a little more complex given the mixed nature of the services we offer.
The short answer – yes, a GP referral is a good idea
A GP referral can help you and us in a number of ways:
- You get a Medicare rebate of just over $75 after your consultation with Dr Moncrieff.
- It usually contains a summary of your Medical history, especially if it comes from your regular GP. This can help understand your medical conditions and ongoing medications.
- It is required to get a Medicare rebate for procedures with Medicare item numbers such as breast reductions, lifts, tummy tucks and body lifts. Some breast augmentation patients may also qualify for a Medicare item number. These rebates can be from a few hundred dollars to well over $1000.
- In some cases, like for tummy tucks, it is important that medical issues such as pain, skin irritations and weight loss are documented before you see Dr Moncrieff. The Medicare criteria for tummy tucks and breast reductions are available on our website.
- It is required for private health insurance to contribute to the cost of your eligible surgery. So it the procedure has a Medicare item number and you have the right level of cover, this can save many thousands of dollars.
- A GP will also need to be involved if you are hoping to access your superannuation for surgery. More about this is here.
How long to referrals last?
A referral from your GP lasts 12 months and from another specialist is 3 months.
Do I need a referral before I book a Vectra surgery simulation?
No – this appointment is not subject to a Medicare rebate but if you do go on to book a consultation with Dr Moncrieff after your Vectra, it is worth having a GP referral.
Are there other times you don’t recommend a referral?
For purely cosmetic procedures like breast augmentations on ‘normal breasts’ technically you don’t need one, but sometimes women don’t realise they have issues with their breasts that may invoke a Medicare rebate that they weren’t even aware of. And the referral still has the benefits of providing general information about your medical health.
You do not need a referral for non-surgical treatments such as cosmetic injections.
What if I don’t have my referral on the day?
Then you can’t claim the $75+ rebate and won’t be eligible for Medicare rebates for surgery. If you simply left it at home, you can bring it in afterwards. However if it because you don’t plan to see a GP until after your consultation, you will find that most GP’s will rightly refuse to backdate a referral, so it is better to sort it out before you see Dr Moncrieff for the first time.
Cost of Dr Moncrieff's consultations
Dr Moncrieff's fee is $350 which is payable when you book the appointment. If you bring a GP referral with you on the day of your appointment, or have it sent to us in advance, you get back just over $75 from Medicare.
If you have had a $100 Vectra breast surgery simulation first, that $100 is rebated off Dr Moncrieff’s fee, reducing it to $250.
Ready to book your consultation? To book, just call our friendly team on 4920 7700 or send us a message using the contact form below. This blog has our current waiting times for consultations, Vectra simulations and surgery.
Not ready to book yet? The best time for surgery is when it is the right time for YOU. So in the meantime, enjoy our website information for breast and body procedures including before and after photos, cost information and animated videos of the most popular procedures.
Want to join our mailing list? We also provide more information to those on our mailing list, so send us a message below and let us know the procedure you are most interested in. It also means you get to hear about our special offers and upcoming events.
Jessica Laing, Practice Manager, Hunter Plastic Surgery
Jessica joined our team in 2010 and has worked very closely with Dr Moncrieff as Patient Manager and then Practice Manager since 2015. Her commitment and care for patients is legendary. She has even won awards for her focus on service including at the 2020 Stevie Global Sales and Customer Service Awards as Young Customer Service Professional of the Year, as the Australasian Practice Manager of the Year at the 2019 MyFaceMyBody Global Awards and at the 2017 Lake Macquarie Business Excellence Awards.